Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chalkboard Glass Jars Teacher Gifts... Tutorial Too

Chalkboard Glass Jars (Tutorial below)

My son finished his last day yesterday! I had been thinking about this idea for quite awhile. I had the jars and the chalkboard spray paint. I just wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. I did some research online and couldn't find anything like what was in my mind. Since his teacher and assistant teacher couldn't get their present in the Summer I just did it ;) Here is what I came up with. I figured they could use them to put their pens and pencils in or stuff for the classroom. I had my son write thank you on the jars after I was done. But, explained they could erase and write what they wanted. They really liked them!! Plus it's a "Green" present since we recycled!

You will need:

  • 2 Empty clean glass jars (mine were Ragu)
  • Chalkboard Spray Paint (I used Valspar)
  • Painters tape or masking tape
  • Newspaper or something to cover
  • Ribbons
  • Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks (a heavy duty glue would probably work)
  • Chalk to prep the surface
1. Clean the glass jars so there is a clean surface. I used peanut butter to get rid of the sticker goo. It worked! Just put a little bit on the sticky areas, let it sit for a couple minutes and rub or scrape off. Worked like a charm. Clean that after. I put them in the dishwasher.


2. Tape off the top and bottom where the round part starts. I used a newspaper on the top in a cone shape. I didn't have a purpose for it before. But, then I realized when spray painting that it came in handy for turning while spray painting.



3. Spray paint the jars. I held mine in the air by the paper cone...lol. Gave me better leverage and I could see if I was missing spots. I did 4 coats. Letting them dry in between each coat. It says it's ready to go after an hour. But, I say overnight before using the chalkboard.


4. I grab some cute coordinating ribbon I had in my stash. I have a little ribbon addiction. So, that took awhile choosing the right colors with his teachers likes in mind. Heat up the glue gun. I always burn my fingers using that thing! I applied the top ribbon first. Applying the glue in the threads of the jar then sticking the ribbon on flat. I folded the end for a finished look. Then I applied the ric rac on the chalkboard edges for a finished look.

5. I prepped the surface in the morning. Taking chalk and rubbing it all over the chalkboard paint. Then wiped it off. So, it was ready to go. That was actually hard for me. Since I like a clean look...lol. Then I had my son write thank you on each one. I thought they turned out pretty cute!

What have you transformed with chalkboard paint?

1 comment:

Robin~All Things Heart and Home said...

Love this!!! I have some chalkboard paint left over and this is a perfect project! Thx!!!
Robin
All Things Heart and Home